Saturday, March 17, 2012

Birth Story

I really have been needing to write Cannon's birth story but unfortunately I haven't had the chance. A new baby and a dirty house don't really leave me much time to blog. But it's something I want written down so I don't forget. I'm sure I've forgotten plenty of details but here's what I remember:

Cannon Veral Dees was born on January 17th 2012. Weighing in at a whopping 9lbs 1oz and 22 inches long. He was a week overdue and, unfortunately, I was induced because obviously this kid was not leaving on his own. When we got to the hospital the nurse made sure to let me know that it would probably be the following day before I was going to deliver since most inductions take that long. I was only a centimeter dilated and they were so certain it was going to take all night. So after two hours of waiting around to start the process they finally got me going. My contractions were painful and there didn't seem to be any break in between them. The nurse came in two hours after they had started the induction to check how I had progressed and told me I was at a 3 and could get the epidural anytime. This was seriously so exciting! I had wanted a natural birth when I watched The Business of Being Born when I was 18 weeks and I tried my hardest to gain that mind set that an epidural wasn't an option but after being up all night with inconsistent contractions and now, having even worse contractions I was not going to turn it down.

So it seemed like hours, but it was really only minutes, the anesthesiologist came to my rescue. So I now have the epidural and I'm a happy camper. I'm having awesome progression, and I find out that my amazing doctor was the on call doctor that night meaning he was going to deliver Cannon!

So after being in the delivery room all day my nurse told me it was time to start pushing at 7:40 p.m. (that's almost 13 hours since my induction appointment began). So I pushed with all my might, whined A LOT, and 40 minutes later my handsome little man was in my arms. This was amazing to me, especially because I was quite certain I would be the one medical marvel that was pregnant forever.

Cannon had meconium all over him and they think he swallowed some but they said it was the most meconium they had ever seen on a baby. He was already holding his head up and just seemed to be the most amazing little guy I had ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment