"I will go so high
that not even the stars
dare venture forth to greet me.
And the moon
and the sun
shall envy my steep ascent.
But only after God
has outstretched his hand
to lift me up.
For only God
can catch
that not even the stars
dare venture forth to greet me.
And the moon
and the sun
shall envy my steep ascent.
But only after God
has outstretched his hand
to lift me up.
For only God
can catch
the falling star."
- Excerpt from "To Catch a Falling Star" by Julie Wright.
I read this book 4 times in my life. Not because it's such a great book, or that the author is an amazing author. To tell you the truth, it's cheesier than anything and the story isn't anything we haven't heard before. So why do I love it so much? It does have the capability to make me cry (then again anything does lately) and for some reason, books and movies that tug on my heart-strings always make it in the top favorites of mine. (A Walk to Remember, Charly, My Sister's Keeper *both book and movie but mainly book*, Dear John, my point? I am a cry baby). But this book isn't just an LDS based book that made me cry. It's symbolic to me. I read it at a time when I was unsure about everything and when I was the furthest from my Savior. It brought me closer and I read it consistently every year after that. I read it so much that my book is falling apart and my best friend so kindly bought me a new one (which is MIA for the time being!!!). After the last time I read it, I safely tucked it away in my bookcase and never thought that much about it. It's been a while since I have read it and I think it's about time I bring it out again. Goodness knows I am not in any position to waste time reading a novel, but I like how I feel and who I become after I read this book and I will read it a thousand times over again if that's what it takes for that person to stick to me and stop fading out.
I am trying this new thing, it's called *BEING POSITIVE*. I recommend it to everyone. It's not exactly the easiest thing (it's a lot simpler scoring pity points on my oh-so miserable life) but it's the best thing. I was sitting in church today and focused my thoughts on finding good things about people. People who refuse to be nice to me for no reason other than to be mean-I thought nice things about them. People who were different than me in personality (the weird ones)- I thought nice thoughts about them. I don't want to be the ~SOUR PUSS~ no one wants to be around (the person I become when my fiance is out of town all week) because that's not who I am. I am a positive person. I don't want to be envious, I don't want to be mean. I want to think nice thoughts about every person. So for my New Years Resolution (I know we're already 3 months into 2010 but I like this as a New Years Goal) I am going to attempt to cut out negative thoughts in my mind about people. And, for every mean thought, I will push for two kind, positive attributes the person has. I hope that as I do this I can eventually become the person people want to be around, that people like and respect because I like and respect every individual and, eventually, hope that this *like* turns into love so I can be more
Christlike
I read this book 4 times in my life. Not because it's such a great book, or that the author is an amazing author. To tell you the truth, it's cheesier than anything and the story isn't anything we haven't heard before. So why do I love it so much? It does have the capability to make me cry (then again anything does lately) and for some reason, books and movies that tug on my heart-strings always make it in the top favorites of mine. (A Walk to Remember, Charly, My Sister's Keeper *both book and movie but mainly book*, Dear John, my point? I am a cry baby). But this book isn't just an LDS based book that made me cry. It's symbolic to me. I read it at a time when I was unsure about everything and when I was the furthest from my Savior. It brought me closer and I read it consistently every year after that. I read it so much that my book is falling apart and my best friend so kindly bought me a new one (which is MIA for the time being!!!). After the last time I read it, I safely tucked it away in my bookcase and never thought that much about it. It's been a while since I have read it and I think it's about time I bring it out again. Goodness knows I am not in any position to waste time reading a novel, but I like how I feel and who I become after I read this book and I will read it a thousand times over again if that's what it takes for that person to stick to me and stop fading out.
I am trying this new thing, it's called *BEING POSITIVE*. I recommend it to everyone. It's not exactly the easiest thing (it's a lot simpler scoring pity points on my oh-so miserable life) but it's the best thing. I was sitting in church today and focused my thoughts on finding good things about people. People who refuse to be nice to me for no reason other than to be mean-I thought nice things about them. People who were different than me in personality (the weird ones)- I thought nice thoughts about them. I don't want to be the ~SOUR PUSS~ no one wants to be around (the person I become when my fiance is out of town all week) because that's not who I am. I am a positive person. I don't want to be envious, I don't want to be mean. I want to think nice thoughts about every person. So for my New Years Resolution (I know we're already 3 months into 2010 but I like this as a New Years Goal) I am going to attempt to cut out negative thoughts in my mind about people. And, for every mean thought, I will push for two kind, positive attributes the person has. I hope that as I do this I can eventually become the person people want to be around, that people like and respect because I like and respect every individual and, eventually, hope that this *like* turns into love so I can be more
Christlike
"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.
"That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven for he maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and unjust.
"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."
Matt. 5:44-45;48
Happy week of March 7. I wish everyone the best week ever. Enjoy the beautiful weather :)
"That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven for he maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and unjust.
"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."
Matt. 5:44-45;48
Happy week of March 7. I wish everyone the best week ever. Enjoy the beautiful weather :)
Thanks for the post-I totally needed it to help me stay positive today, I had to get up at 6 to watch kids and when I get up that early it is not pretty! oh when is your bridal shower, I can not remember if I gave your cousin my address!!! oh no i better check, and I need to see you soon! Its been to long.
ReplyDeleteYou are awesome Briana!! I know exactly what you mean!! Love the blog by the way. It is especially hard when the person you want to be with the most is gone!! And when you are together the time goes by too fast!! trust me, I was a total bad b word by about tuesday when Preston was out of town!! (which was most of last year), It is so hard and wouldn't wish it on anyone!! (even those weird people)... hopefully you still don't think I am one of the "weird ones"!!!! {jk}!! Anyways, I just wanted to thank you for your post, I think you are so awesome, more awesome than you are giving yourself credit for!! And thanks for helping me have a good outlook for the week!!
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you and Aaron!! If you need any help, let me know, I would love to help in any way!! Even if you just need to relax and watch a cheesy movie, I am so up for "a walk to remember" and a pedi/manicure!!